One of the basic requirements to receive a remote online notarization is for the signers to submit their Social Security Number and upload their ID to allow software to verify their identity.
The software analyzes the signers ID for authentication, and the signers will also have to undergo a Knowledge Based Authentication (KBA) “quiz” based off of their Social Security Number. The KBA is a 5 question multiple choice quiz where the signer must answer questions based on their work and living history, and requires 4/5 questions to be answered correctly for the software to verify your identity. The KBA is the same process the major credit bureaus use to verify their users identities. There is a limit of 2 attempts of the KBA per day.
Montana Online Notary administers software called SigniX that provides the encrypted Zoom video channels, identity verification software and the encrypted PDF signing software all through web applications from the browser.
To begin the RON session, the Notary will send email links to the signers to establish Zoom video communication. Once everyone is present, the Notary will send email links to the signers to begin the SigniX identity verification process. Once the signers identity is verified by SigniX, the users proceed to sign the documents via PDF, then the software prompts the notary signs off on the document, and the video and PDF events are stored for archive.
A YouTube video of the process can be found here
- To begin, an email will be sent to the signer, which will contain a link leading to an encrypted ZOOM video room where the notary will be waiting. Once everyone is present and communication is established, the notary will send a second email, which will begin the SigniX verification and signing process.
- When you follow the link, SigniX will ask for the expiration date of the identification [passport, drivers license, state ID] you intend to use.
- The next page will ask for your Social Security Number, date of birth and your consent to the use of the technology.
- SigniX will then administer the Knowledge Based Authentication, which is a 5 question dynamic quiz based on public and private records of the signers. It is a mix of questions based off the signers residential, vehicle history. It requires 4/5 to pass.
- You must keep the SigniX web browser tab open for this next part. After the KBA is successful, SigniX will ask for either your email or phone number to transition you to your smartphone for the identification upload. You can upload the ID from your computer (if you are confident in technology) if you choose to send an email but is more difficult to take a stable photo. You must keep the SigniX web browser tab open to return to momentarily.
- Once you follow the email/SMS text message link on your smartphone, you will be required to take 2 photos, one of the front of your ID with a black background and the second photo the backside of your ID with a black background. The verification process takes a minute and once it clears you will return to the SigniX desktop web browser application.
- Once the KBA and identification upload is complete you will return to the desktop web app. Once you continue it will ask for your consent to use the technology once again, and the next page will prompt you to create a password for your account and give you an opportunity to customize your signature for the document.
- Once your password is set, the last step on the signers part is to sign the document itself. You will receive a popup giving you the chance to "Let Me Review" the document or "Go!". Click go, and proceed to sign the document by clicking your name at the signature spots. Once finished, click "Finish", and the notary will take over from there.